Thursday, May 15, 2008

Two Words...Spring Sports

I am lucky I remember my name these days. I am driving myself crazy trying to keep up with the spring sports schedules. All 4 of my children are involved in some kind of sport this season. None of them are on the same team....but quite often they need to be somewhere at the same time. Erin runs track at the high school. Chris runs track at the middle school. John plays machine pitch baseball. Jimmy plays t-ball.

We are going to try swim team this summer. At least we will all be in the same place every Saturday morning.

I really enjoyed the G.W. Parkway Classic this year. I think my training paid off because I took about 7 minutes off my time. The best part of the race for me was hearing my daughter Erin and her friend Laura cheering me on at the finish line. Erin and Laura run track together at the high school. The ran the 5K race while I was running the 10 miler. They actually placed for their age group! (Laura in 2nd, and Erin in 3rd for the female under 18 category) They both received medals! I can't tell you how proud I was of both of them. From what Laura's mom told me after the race, the girls ran together and encouraged each other through the entire 5k. The finished just seconds apart. I think that they are hooked on racing. Erin wore her medal all day, and even took it to bed with her that night.

My running has tapered off a little after the race. I am nursing an injury on my right foot. I will have to start training again soon, because Tara (my running buddy) and I just signed up for the Marine Corps Marathon. I could not think of a better way to celebrate turning 40.

No comments: