Wednesday, June 11, 2008

See Mommy Injured!

After nursing a foot injury for a month without much success, I went to see my doctor. I was happy to hear that my foot is not broken. My doctor confirmed my diagnosis as plantar fasciitis. I have been put on an anti-inflammatory medication, must wear a splint at night, and I cannot run for 2 weeks.

I am a little nervous about the fact that I cannot run, because I am supposed to start marathon training in July. My daughter informed me that I have "bad Marine Corps Marathon Mojo." The last time I trained for this race, I fell and severely sprained my ankle. I managed to finish that race, and swore afterwards that I would never run another marathon.

I have been faithfully working out with my Coach Al runner core video. I have been talking to some friends about exercising through this injury in order to keep up my leg strength and cardiovascular fitness. We agreed that the solution was biking. Tonight I rode the bike at the gym for 30 minutes. I thought I was going to cry! My bottom was hurting so badly. I found the workout very challenging. I am sure the pain I am feeling now is nothing compared to what I am going to feel post bike workout tomorrow.

I have to keep telling myself that I am strong, and that I can do this.
I just miss running.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

I too have plantar fasciitis, arrggghhh. I took the anti-inflammatories, did the stretches, all to no avail. I wouldn't stop running and I just thought it was something I was going to have to live with until I would rest. But then I tried rubbing the bottom of my foot over a tennis ball. Seriously in a couple days my foot was feeling better. Now I am even thinking about wearing shoes other than my crocs or keens! I just kept the ball at my feet by the computer and whenever I was working just rolled my hurt foot back and forth. The key is to also roll your healthy foot so you know what it should feel like. You won't believe the pain at first but it gets better.

Good luck!!!